Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pasta with Kale, Pinto Beans, and Tomatoes

I spent most of my day off today running around doing errands... getting my son's 18-month-old photos taken, shopping, banking. Then I came home and caught up on some gardening and made a bunch of phone calls. Had the kids with me most of the day, and they were very whiny. By mid-afternoon I had (and still have) a tension headache. So I wasn't much in the mood for a complicated dinner. Thank goodness for one of my standby recipes: pasta with greens, beans, and tomatoes.

I can't recall where I originally got this recipe. I don't even have it written down anywhere and I modify it pretty much every time I make it, depending on the ingredients I have on hand. Tonight it was a pound of whole wheat linguine topped with kale, pinto beans, and tomatoes. Here's how I make the sauce:

Sautee 3-4 cloves of chopped garlic in 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add a big bunch of washed and chopped kale (or other green of your choice). Once the kale is nicely wilted, pour in a can of drained beans. Tonight I had pinto beans, but I usually use cannellini. Stir. Next add a 15-ounce can of chopped tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer until the sauce starts to thicken. Stir the sauce into the drained pasta, cover and let it sit a few minutes so the pasta soaks up the juices. I usually serve it with a side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment