Friday, February 25, 2011

Not a vegetarian, but...

Am acquaintance recently commented that she thought I was a vegetarian. I'm not. In fact, I've got a freezer full of organic grass-fed beef right now. It comes from my friends' farm in Trumansburg, NY. But I have been slowly reducing my family's meat intake over the past few years. We often go days without eating meat. Instead, we eat whole grains, legumes, and, of course, a variety of fruits and vegetables. We've also been trying to add fish to our diet because of the healthy omega-3 fatty acids they contain. Neither my husband nor I are big fish lovers. We especially avoid the real fishy fish. There was a time when the only fish I could get my husband to eat was a greasy fish fry. But we've grown to love salmon and can tolerate other mild fish, such as tilapia and orange roughy.

Tonight's meal was a good example of the type of meal that I feel good about preparing for my family. I made Moroccan-Steamed Salmon with Quinoa and Carrots. I got the recipe from the January/February 2011 issue of Whole Living, my new favorite magazine, and served it alongside simple microwaved store-bought frozen peas. Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) is technically a seed, but it is similar in consistency to rice. It has a nutty flavor and is a great addition to any diet. It provides a complete protein, rich in amino acids, and is a good source of iron, which is important to me since I tend to be borderline anemic when I'm not careful. It is also a good source of magnesium and riboflavin.

I loved all of the flavors in this meal, but the tastiest part was the cilantro sauce that topped the fish and helped me meet another of my goals: to eat more herbs and spices. More on that another time...

No comments:

Post a Comment